Tiffany Studios New York "Woodbine" Table Lamp
- Product Details
- Curator's Notes
Item #: L-20742
Artist: Tiffany Studios New York
Country: United States of America
Dimensions: 16" diameter, 22.25" height
Materials: Favrile Glass, Bronze
Shade Signed: Tiffany Studios New York
Base Signed: Tiffany Studios, New York, 6821 with monogram
Literature: Base and shade are pictured separately in: Tiffany Lamps and Metalware: An illustrated reference to over 2000 models, by Alastair Duncan, Woodbridge: Suffolk: Antique Collectors' Club, 2007, p.96, plate 379 (base) and p.143, plate 598 (shade).
For the nineteenth-century aesthete, the woodbine was the uniquely American version of the French marronier (horse chestnut). Its leaves were delicate in form, of deep glossy green in the growing season, and in early autumn, a lovely crimson hue. Tiffany had chosen the site of his estate for its location— one mile south of Theodore Roosevelt's Sagamore Hill. The woodbine was the emblem of Roosevelt; a contemporary viewer wrote of the estate:
“His home at Oyster Bay, Long Island, is a place of great attraction and one which any man might well enjoy...a broad porch runs around three sides of the house, shaded in front by a luxuriant woodbine.”
The lamp remained in production from 1900 to 1906. Thereafter, as Design Director, Tiffany introduced the woodbine to Tiffany & Co. Collaborating with the talented enamelists Julia Munson and Meta Overbeck, Tiffany produced numerous pieces of woodbine jewelry (1905-10), delighting connoisseurs of the Arts & Crafts.